Laura's Intro

Hey y'all!

My name is Laura Nguyen and I will be one of your vice chairs this year for BMUN LXVII's Security Council. This year marks my fifth year participating in MUN and my first year in BMUN #flex. I'm originally from Huntington Beach, California, but I've come to love the Bay Area in the small time amount of time that I've lived here, especially because it harbors classic bops like "Blow the Whistle" and "I Got 5 on It."

At Cal, I'm a freshman majoring in Sociology and Political Science; I'm especially interested in structural inequality and comparative politics. Outside of BMUN, I'm a member of Cal ACLU, where I work to educate and advocate for students and local communities alongside the overarching ACLU. I'm also in a sorority on campus, which is pretty dope.

In my free time I like to watch funny British people like John Oliver or blow all of my money on the coffee and boba around Berkeley. I also really like going to the movies as well as mulling over Frank Ocean's music.

I hope that the topics chosen for Security Council this year shed some much-needed light for us on the concrete consequences of state failure, as well as the implications of stripping away human rights. When someone has the power to take away the rights of one vulnerable group, everyone's rights are in danger. Keeping this in mind, I look forward to the nuanced solutions that you'll bring to committee. BMUN was my favorite conference back in the day (like, a year ago), if not for the competitive and knowledge-based style of debate then for the many opportunities to learn as well as the amazing daisesAshley was actually my head chair when I attended BMUN last year! Speaking of daises, I think your dais this year is a pretty friendly bunch, so please feel free to reach out to us at any time.

Good luck with your research. Can’t wait to see you all in committee.

Best,
Laura Nguyen

me ft. deer in japan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Al-Shabaab Series: How Al-Shabaab Recruits

Maritime Crime is Getting More Sophisticated

Welcome to Security CounciI!